Mother’s milk is extremely important for the maiden development of an offspring. Production of milk or lactation normally starts 2-3 days after childbirth. Often the human body suffers from a lack of secretion of hormones which can be caused by various biological factors. As a remedy to these problems, doctors often prescribe allopathic medications which instantly trigger the glands to promote or deplete the secretion of hormones. However, this method is not always best suited for every expecting mother as rapid changes in the human body can leave prolonged side effects. Thus, people always are in search of organic substitutes that are similarly effective. Shatavari is one of them.
It is a well-known herb that helps to improve lactation in expecting mothers. Used since the early-Aryan times in India, the Shatavari herb (Asparagus racemosus) is a small reddish-looking herb with a bitter-sweet taste. It is rich in hydrogenates, minerals, vitamins, and fatty acids.
In this article, we will talk about the miraculous herb and how it helps in lactation and restoring hormonal balance in a women’s reproductive systems, pre and post-childbirth.
What is Shatavari?
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is a herb native to India, Pakistan, Myanmar, and other south Asian countries. Its leaves produce a bitter-sweet paste which is rich in various mineral, vitamins, bioflavonoids, and hydrogenates. This miraculous herb has been used as a remedy to hemorrhoids and sexualism in both males and females since early Aryan times. Modern-day Shatavari is clinically produced as capsules that are prescribed by doctors and medical practitioners to women during pregnancy.
Benefits of Shatavari for improving Lactation
- Restores hormonal imbalance
Shatavari reacts with enzymes that cause stimulation of hormone secretion among glands. It increases corticoids and prolactin production, which improves the quality of breast milk produced by a mother. Shatavari also stimulates the production of steroid hormones that promote milk production.
- Acts as an Antioxidant
Rich in Bioflavonoids, Shatavari has great antioxidant properties. These antioxidants prevent the harmful effects of free radicals and foreign particulates in the body. It helps fight aging and cellular damage.
The phase of pregnancy is filled with mood swings, which a mother has to go through as the glands secrete lots of hormones during this time. Shatavari acts as an antidepressant. It prevents the overdose of hormones to build up negative feelings in humans. Satavari promotes the release of dopamine, an enzyme that produces a sense of satisfaction and relief.
- Stress Relief
Excessive stress sometimes results in ovarian cysts, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, uterine fibroids, and much more. Each of these mentioned deformations can prove fatal for the zygote thus, Shatavari helps to calm down the nervous system. It prevents the negative effects of stress via the secretion of dopamine.
Stress can cause inflammation or injury to tissues of the reproductive system, which causes problems during conception. Shatavari promotes the production of white blood cells which help to reduce inflammation. It also absorbs harmful toxins from the bloodstream.
Conventional Uses and Application of ‘Asparagus racemosus’
Shatavari has various medicinal properties that are capable of curing many diseases and physical problems. Some of them are listed below.
- It helps in controlling levels of Blood Sugar which is extremely helpful for people suffering from diabetes.
- It promotes the development of mammary glands in women.
- It has antifungal properties, thus it is used for various fungal infections.
- Shatavari promotes better immunity against diseases and simultaneously kills harmful microorganisms.
- Asparagus racemosus is used to cure depression and other mood swings. It interacts with glands to produce dopamine, an enzyme that provides a sense of satisfaction and relief.
- It is widely used as a remedy for gastric problems.
- It promotes the production of white blood cells in the human body.
- It increases the chances of conception.
- Female fertility is affected by the liver and kidneys as well. Shatavari helps in cleaning vital organs like the liver and kidney, eliminating the excess toxins present in them.
- Helps to cure sexual disability by interacting with glands to produce adrenaline and estrogen causing sexual excitement.
- Help fight Bronchial infections.